R5: Seriously... who is even shooting 4K or 8K?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
undercrimson Regular Member • Posts: 191
R5: Seriously... who is even shooting 4K or 8K?

There's a lot of hoopla on the R5's specs, but I'm just wondering if anyone is really thinking practically here...

Seriously, who is even shooting at 4K or 8K? Who even shoots at 120fps?

Almost all videos are watched on YouTube in basic 1080 at 30fps. If you're shooting at 4K, your files are going to be so massive and if you're shooting in 8K HDR, it'll be ridiculously humongous that you'll need to buy an iMac Pro just for processing, spare hard drives, and special memory cards just to manage the entire workflow.... just so that you can downscale it to 1080p for upload to YouTube.

Is it just me or is this all marketing talk?

The deal about the 5R is far more plain: full-frame, mirrorless, flip-out screen, IBIS. Shoot in 1080p at 30fps in standard 8-bit color.  It's nice.  Who cares about the 4K60 and 8KHDR?

I'm curious to hear other opinions on this from other people. Half of me thinks that most people have no clue what these specs mean, and so they're just getting as much "quality" as they can without realizing most of it is unnecessary. Or am I missing something here?

Ricoh Caplio R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jnd
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow