when to many pixels degrade an image.

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 16,563
when to many pixels degrade an image.

Well I always knew this from years ago but never thought i would experience it in real life. so last night my daughter was testing her makeup colours to match her $500 sequenced grad dress and wanted some photos taken with shoes and all ,so i had my new setup ready to go 6 light setup with projected images and all, so quite  elaborate studio lighting and semi harsh micro strip lights fired across her dress for maximum detail effect. after the shoot with the em12 and my fav studio lens pana 12 60 i processed the raws and printed a very high quality a4 image on my canon pro10 printer and the images looked stunning. so this morning i thought i really should have taken the same shot just for curiosity with my 42 meg sony a7r2. so i went into the studio and shot her dress just to see if i was going to get a better print. What a disappointment there was amazing detail at 100% and the tones and high lights were very well controlled due to the larger sensor. BUT the image looked soft and lacked the punch printed at a4 the problem is that the printer or computer just cant put the pixels into place to create a sharp image. I did this test years ago with my 10meg xz1 and the 36meg d810 and shot an image of my monitor and the 10 meg image looked better.  so I thought no worries i will shoot at 18m jpeg compression and see if that improves the overall look printed, well it did and i still have the raws at full res. so the moral still stands and that if you not printing 20 foot images or not cropping up to half then the 20 meg em12 can defiantly produces the goods.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Nikon D810 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow