I see now why Olympus is stepping back...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 374
Re: I see now why Olympus is stepping back...

Canon is creating a fairly compelling line-up, but I still prefer Olympus as a system as it is already well established and lacking very little. For one, I can match most of my Olympus bodies with very small lenses not offered by any of the FF manufacturers...yet. Olympus wins for modulalarity across it's line-up. I also find Olympus color SOOC more appealing than Canon.

With that said, Canon did take a move from the Olympus playbook by giving the 85mm f2 a short MFD. Impressively short. However, when I go back and look at the 35mm 1.8 to get an idea of what I could expect if I bought the 35mm along with this new 85mm f2, I find the bokeh to be quite harsh. I actually like the rending from the simple 17mm 1.8 better and definitely prefer the 17mm 1.2 over it. Perhaps the 85mm will prove to be quite nice in the OOF rendering once it's reviewed. I have the 45mm 1.2 and I prefer it over most of the FF options I've shot including the 85mm Batis and Sony 100mm STF. I also don't want a 3k 1.2 Canon lens either, so there you go.

Anyway, hats off to Canon. I have held the R and RP and the RP is quite lite and comfortable in the hands. As a system, it is coming together quite well. Just- at least for me- not well enough to get thee ol' GAS going...

THKPIC's gear list:THKPIC's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon D7500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow