Sony full frame advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,189
Re: Sony full frame advice

Polemica wrote:

Hi guys

I need your help choosing a new camera. I started taking pictures three years ago with a panasonic mft entry level mirrorless and now i want to step up my photo with a full frame camera. I'm not a professional photographer but i love taking portrait photo, so for this reason i want to switch to full frame for the sweet bokeh and low light performance.

I have a budget of 1500-1800 € (1500 is better of course). With this price range in mind i selected four different setup (all prices are from a local camera shop, i'd prefer to not buy from amazon or online seller):

• Sony A7 m2 with 28-70 kit (1017 €) + another lens (a 50 mm maybe?). What lens do you recomend?
  • Sony A7 m2 body only (960 €) + Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (806€)
  • sony A7 m2 body only (960 €) + possibly two other lenses (i hve no idea what lenses fit the budget, so i'm asking you)
  • Sony A7 m3 with 28-70 kit ( 2084 €) this option implies selling a kidney for the extra cash

If you have other suggestion or doubt feel free to let me know, thanks in advance fof your anwers!

I've enjoyed both cameras and recommend getting the kit zoom with either. I don't use the kit zoom much, but it makes very good images.

The A7m2 is not very good for low light. If that's your main objective, look elsewhere.

I've used the Tamron 28-75/2.8 briefly once. It is overpriced, but that's reality. I adapt a Sony 28-75mm F2.8 SAM, which, while sharp, has more image quality issues than the new Tamron, but mostly I wish it was wider.

My best portrait lens is an adapted Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 USD. I find the images from the Sony FE 85mm F1.8 worse, and those form the Samyang 75mm F1.8 worse than the Sony, but either of those are decent options. The lowly Sony FE 50mm F1.8 has quite nice out-of-focus blur.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM +121 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow