The ceiling getting pushed down?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,419
The ceiling getting pushed down?

We like to think that the 35mm sensor wars doesn't affect Fujifilm in our APS-C world.

But I think 35mm digital sensor cameras acts as a price ceiling for APS-C cameras.

For me the reasons why I got n X-E1 X many moons ago was price and size advantage over my 35mm gear. I was willing to give up some functionality and speed for price and size advantages.

Fast forward 6-7 years now and that advantage is disappearing fast. Sure - the functionality and speed penalty has disappeared too.

The price of an X-T4 is now $1699 USD. I am sure Fujifilm would like to have a model selling at $1899 but we all know how that went the last time they tried to reach that price point. Even in the lenses - 200mm F2 - how is Fujifilm's version better than the 35mm versions that sell for pretty much the same money and is the same size?

It has to change the value proposition from small and cheap to more and better functionality than the 35mm models or something to break the price ceiling. Otherwise they are just going to be pushed down in pricing.

Fujifilm is trying to do the same thing to 35mm cameras with their 44x33 sensor camera. Pushing down GFX-50r to a price point where it competes with the 35mm high resolution cameras models. But it has a huge speed penalty but tries to make it up in raw IQ ... but I think it needs a better sensor and processor at that price point to convert more 35mm shooters. The GFX-100 is too expensive to do that.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow