* The Weekly Image Thread 20 07 06 #450 *

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
Olyinaz Veteran Member • Posts: 7,941
Re: Space Needle

19andrew47 wrote:

An interesting set Harvey. I like the Seattle waterfront scenes and the first of the young lad on the base is a fine shot. Could use some shadow lifting perhaps but an excellent image. I also like the one where he has a smile as his grandfather (?) has his arms extended to lift him down.

I was there in the spring of 71. I took a couple of night shots of the space needle with my Olympus 35SP rangefinder, a great little camera that I regret having traded. At the time I had read about the effects of elevation on film images so I bought and installed a UV filter on the camera. Back then they were not multicoated. I left the filter on the camera all the time. Imagine my dismay when a month later I got the slides back and saw the reflections of the upper half part way down the space needle. This same thing happened with the night images I took on the strip in Las Vegas. The space needle I can shoot again but the strip in Vegas will never be the same! Since then filters sit in the bag for times they are necessary. I have not used a filter on a digital camera ever, but I need to get one or two.

Andrew

I'm with you on that Andrew. I do understand that they are much better now, but I just can't bring myself to do it when I've had bad experiences with them. The "you might scratch your lens" thing is true, and I've never done it, so...

(Obviously I'm not talking about ND, gradients or polarizers where they are needed.)

Oly

Olyinaz's gear list:Olyinaz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS 77D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AVG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow