Olympus lenses on Pan. G9 questions

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martyn Welch Contributing Member • Posts: 867
Olympus lenses on Pan. G9 questions

Long time since I visited here but have a bit of a problem and please excuse the long explanation.

I have an E-m5ii, Oly f2.8 12-40 Pro and 18-150ii lenses.  Had these over a year and perfectly happy with the quality of photos (in particular the colour accuracy) produced by this setup but despite all my best efforts I still struggle with the menu system and have done from day one.

I've read the manual, such as it is, and the online manual (no good when out in the field)and even bought the Young/Johnson Mastering the Olympus M5 Mkii book, but my 71 year old brain has always struggled a tad with technical matters and the Oly menu system seems really user unfriendly to my eyes.

Coming from Pentax land prior to this (now ancient K10D), I found their camera menus a doddle to use and rarely needed to burrow down through menus to access sub menus and variations on those that the Oly seems to require. All the basic camera controls were in plain sight with dials that changed all the settings I ever wanted without ever needing to go into any menus. OK - I accept I may be just old in the tooth and perhaps it's an age thing but really? I've even debated selling all the m43 gear and going back to Pentax.

If I'm shooting close up work at home (I make models for a living), once I have found the settings I like I keep the camera set up that way, but when on holiday/safari earlier this year I was inevitably frustrated at having to burrow into menus (need glasses to see them properly too:-() faff around deciding which applies to what and invariably miss the opportunity presented at the time. I'm plainly losing the marbles a bit but I'm frustrated at the camera getting in the way of my photography needs much of the time.

So do I admit defeat and change body for a Panasonic G9 that appears from the reviews to have a more common sense menu system? If I do will both the Oly lenses work equally well with the G9?  I ask because I've read assorted comments online suggesting they work but stabilisation can be an issue with certain lenses as the manufacturers use different methods for achieving this. I'm trying not to sell the lenses and have to buy Panasonic ones if it isn't necessary, because I like them both. It's the camera I have a problem with.

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome.

Martyn Welch's gear list:Martyn Welch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow