Easy-to-use APS-C travel and family camera at ~$500 to $1000 (Fuji X-A7?)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,521
When a "downgrade" is really an upgrade

Consider a Panasonic LX100 MkI or MkII.

Here's the thing - the kit lens on a budget ILC is pretty dim, whereas the built-in lens on your RX100 or an LX100 is much brighter. The LX100 has a Micro Four Thirds sensor that's substantially larger than the 1" sensor in the RX100 and a similarly bright lens, giving it a low-light noise advantage over that camera. And, even given the 1-stop light gathering advantage of a larger APS sensor, the LX100's f1.7-f2.8 max aperture allows you to shoot at 2-stops lower ISO than with an APS camera equipped with an f3.5-f5.6 kit zoom, giving the LX100 a net 1-stop advantage in terms of noise when shooting moving subjects in low light.

As a full-time low-light event pro, I have way too many cameras (see my gear list), from an LF1 to GX9 to a7RIII. For indoor family photos and other casual uses, if I don't need my FZ1000's long reach, the first camera I grab is my LX100.

The main limitation is the 24-75mm EFL 3x zoom range. But, that's the tradeoff for wide apertures. If you go with an MFT or APS ILC, you'll need primes a good bit brighter than the kit zooms to do any better in terms of noise in low light with action-stopping shutter speeds.

The LX100 is really easy to carry around, and with abundant controls, a (small) grip, and an always-there EVF, it feels much more like a "real" camera and is very pleasant to use.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow