Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,142
Re: Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

pforsell wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

SteveY80 wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Hubertus Bigend wrote:

You're still wrong. Yes, with FF you would have had to use ISO 7200. No, the result wouldn't have become worse. Not the file quality, not the depth of field, nothing. The f/11 lens is not even just a bit less "practical" there, except maybe if it would still be a bit larger and slightly less comfortable to handle, which is what these new Canon lenses seem to be at least in comparison to, say, the MFT 100-300, and there I'm not even speaking about versatility yet.

But, and that's the point here – f/11 as such is not the problem.

You don't seem to realise I am talking about the shutter speed not equivalents, if you look at the photo you will see it was taken on FF, That iso of 7200 is in the middle of a bright summers day. if you do the math for 1/1000 of a sec at f11 the iso would be 1800. That is the middle of the day , it obviously gets worse as the light disappears when you reach dawn or dusk or a overcast or rainy day you are struggling to get, a fast enough shutter speed to stop action. To many here are completely caught up on the theory of equivalents and cant see the requirement of a fast enough shutter speed to get the shot. this may not a problem with short focal lengths where you may not need such a fast shutter speed the ibis will help compensate but most turn ibis or vr off for long lenses and action.

And you can't seem to realize that nobody is arguing that F/11 is enough for everybody. It's nice to have choices, even if some of those choices will be more popular than others. The only claim being made is that if F/5.6 is enough on m4/3, then F/11 will be enough on FF. If it isn't enough for you, nobody should argue with that - it's your shot, your requirements.

The shutter speed is 2 stops faster on the m4/3. at f5.5 and according to he theories of equivalence that is the same as a f11 on FF, So a win on shutter speed for the f5.6 on m4/3 if everything else as you say is enough using f11 on FF.

I don't understand why the f/11 aperture would stop you from choosing whatever shutter speed you need?

Obviously you'd be using a 2-stop higher ISO when doing so, but that's where equivalence does come in.

You reach a point where there is not enough light available when you reach the upper limit of your iso setting in your camera earlier ,where you have to reduce shutter speeds, you simply cannot choose whatever shutter speed you want, there are limitations. these are supertelephoto lenses to avoid shake its best to at least use a shutter speed equivalent to the focal length.

What limitations?

What prevents one from choosing ISO 1000, 1/4000, f/11 at sunset? What limitation exactly? I have 7 full frame bodies and none of them have that kind of limitation.

Really you actually don't understand that there are limitations, You can of course choose to do that, set your camera to any combination of shutter speeds, ISO and F stop and take shot's, you could leave the same setting on your camera from day 1 of ownership until you stop using it, same ISO, shutter speed and aperture, how many shots will be usable? Those setting you mention might work for a sunset. but shoot sports or BIF with those settings in poor light and you will be well underexposed. Congratulations on your 7 FF bodies, ever used a m4/3 body or DX, I have along with FF.

I notice in your profile you have a one very old Olympus 4/3 body, ever used any of the modern m4/3 gear you keep comparing your FF cameras to.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow