ON1 Photo RAW 2020.5 released

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,153
Re: ON1 Photo RAW 2020.5 released

page3 wrote:

The Catalogue has always bugged me.

On1 say you can browse without a catalogue. Well yes, but you can’t search.

On1 say you can catalogue in the background. Well yes, but the software is unusable until cataloging has finished. I’d far rather a normal import into a proper database, which would give other advantages.

And why is cataloging so bleeding slow?

I’m currently having to re-catalogue everything. 25,000 photos stored on a fast NAS and connected via fast Ethernet. Based on current progress it’ll take 9 days! What is it doing?!

For some perspective, I ran PhotoSweeper on the same images (to remove duplicates). That software creates thumbnails and does some clever image comparisons - time to run around 1 hour.

I also ran Excire Photo on the same images. This software creates thumbnails and uses machine learning/ai to automatically add appropriate tags. Took under 2 hours to run.

Why is cataloging in On1 Raw so slow?!

I don't find cataloging slow and I can use the program normally whilst it catalogs in the background.
I much prefer the On1 system, where you can still access an image without needing to load it into a catalog like you are forced to do with LR. If someone brings me an image file on a USB stick or memory card, I can still edit it without having to load it into a catalog. Much more convenient than LR.

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow