Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Hubertus Bigend
Hubertus Bigend Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: No ...

rogerstpierre wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

But at the edges of the shooting envelope - in dim lighting when high shutter speeds need to me maintained - these lenses will struggle

Peter

Struggle? No more so than the fastest 800mm equiv. m43 lens. Nothing in m43 at 400 is faster than f5.6 which is the same as f11 on FF. The 800 sucks up as much light as any m43 400 lens available. Also Canons DPAF is quite good.

But the shutter speeds are 2 f stops faster for the m4/3 lens.

No they are not. You bump up the ISO 2 stops which gives equal noise to m43 2 stops lower and the SS is the same. Simple as that.

Except that getting accurate AF @ f11 is challenging. AF systems struggle with anything slower than f5.6. Birding in the forest @f5.6 requires ISO 1600-6400 for a decent speed. That pushes the FF sensor from 6400-256000. Not as simple as that.

"AF systems" are rather diverse nowadays... "Struggle with anything slower than f5.6" used to be true for mainstream DSLR AF systems, but mirrorless has come a long way. As I've learned here, the Sony A9 II AF, for example, is specified to function up to f16. If that 100-500 zoom is supposed to work with both converters which will be introduced alongside with it, which would be a strange introduction if it wouldn't, the Canon RF system will work at least up to f/14.

I suspect these lenses may turn out to be more usable than many seem to think. Still, too much of them is awkward for my taste, so that I actually feel I'm better off with my halfway equivalent and still more compact MFT options.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow