Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,175
Re: Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

Green Lens Creations wrote:

rb61 wrote:

Is there one camera manufacturer that stands out as a leader when it comes to intuitive menus?

Please ignore, if possible, stratospheric priced cameras.

Thanks

I’ve used basically every brand out there and when it comes to practicality, design, ergonomics, and interface — Nikon hands down takes the cake

I would consider how you will be using the camera and what your needs are, but if you are concerned about being able to adjust settings on a whim I find Nikon to be the best designed, and that’s why I use them to this day

If you have not yet invested in a camera system and aren’t yet “married” to one, go to a store and handle a few different brands and see for yourself. Once you start investing in lenses it’s pretty impractical to have multiple bodies with different mounts so it’s hard to turn back (although not impossible, you can always sell your gear and switch, but you will obviously lose some money)

I do want to add that Nikon gets a lot of flak nowadays because they have lagged behind in tech development. A series of decisions made by the company dating all the way back to the late 60’s/early 70’s have caused them to give up a large market share to Canon and now Sony which both make excellent cameras, and tend to be more on the cutting edge of innovation.

This is true - Nikon prefers backwards compatibility over chasing the shiny new feature.

And I agree their system is the most intuitive (as described earlier in this thread).

In the mid 80s Canon changed their lens mount to accommodate autofocus. Nikon made only minimal changes to their lens mount & as a result Canon completely won the sports crowd. Back then the camera was just an interface between the film and lens - so autofocus was a huge reason to upgrade.

A similar story happened in the 70s with "auto index" (auto exposure modes) with Nikon ensuring maximum backwards compatibility.

Nikon however tends to be slower to introduce new things, but has a long history of perfecting the important breakthroughs and implementing them in some of the most effective and best designed ways.

There was a time when Nikon and Canon kept leapfrogging each other in terms of features/innovation.

Canon with video. 5Dmk2

Nikon with high ISO. D700

Nikon with high megapixels (I think it was Nikon first here?).

I would be jealous of Canon users for a few years until Nikon would come out with something cool and then Canon users would be jealous of Nikon users. And on and on.

Meanwhile Sony just kept chugging away in the background and would eventually eat both of their lunch by being Mirrorless when they were still completing on DSLR specs.

They also have some of the best glass on the market, and their new Z-system I believe will help they stay competitive in the ever evolving mirrorless market despite their recent money woes. I believe Nikon user’s patience will eventually be repaid with a Z8 or Z9 release with the same tech as an A7Riv but with the ergonomics and design you would want in a camera and a D6X with the tech of a 1DXiii. All in all though one of the main things that keeps me away from Sony systems is the menu design, overall controllability and comfort - but everyone is different

Lenses are assets that either depreciate slowly or keep and sometimes gain value. A few lens mounts disappear and/or are too fiddly to make adapting worthwhile. (Contax)

Cameras are electronics and are subject to all the market forces of any other electronics - they're expenses.

Invest in lenses. Buy the cheapest camera that makes sense for your budget/desired specs level that will support the lenses. you want to use.

Nikon makes great glass, but Canon has the 50mm f/1.2 with autofocus (Nikon's is manual focus) and the 85mm f/1.2 - which Nikon doesn't have a version of. I've heard the 85mm f/1.2 described as "the kind of lens that keeps photographers loyal to a brand."

f/1.2 isn't that far from f/1.4 but if you want that extra bit of "not in focus" that only an f/1.2 can give you - Canon is the platform. It's telling that these are among their first R Mount lenses.

Nikon has the 105 and 135 DC (defocus control) lenses, which they have a patent on so I don't think anyone's copied that.

I think also Nikon has the least 3rd party lens support because they're the stingiest with their autofocus protocols.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow