Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,370
Re: Not Sony

pforsell wrote:

tbcass wrote:

pforsell wrote:

rb61 wrote:

Is there one camera manufacturer that stands out as a leader when it comes to intuitive menus?

Please ignore, if possible, stratospheric priced cameras.

Thanks

Sony is the worst imaginable. They couldn't make a bigger mess even if they tried.

Really? Ten why do I like the Sony menus? Could it be that they aren't really as bad as you say and it's merely your opinion. Have you ever even owned one of the newer Sonys or used one for an extended length of time with an open mind? I bet not. There's a lot of Sony hate out there and the Sony haters love to criticize the menu system when they really know nothing about it.

Does A7M2 or A7RM2 count?
The order of things in the menus is worse than random, imho. Settings that go conceptually together are spattered around in different pages. It would require considerable work and time to make them any worse, if at all possible.

That's precisely what many say and it's likely because we came up learning photography and that certain terms and functions go together. But Sony apparently was up against a patent or just didn't know what should be grouped where. I don't know, but it was a disaster. So I put everything I wanted either on a quick menu or on a button/wheel and hardly ever used the menu...dreading the moment that I did need a menu.

And don't get me started on the camera apps I paid for that were abysmal to use.

I think there are universal principles that can be applied here, but there is also a region of subjectivity. If you can easily remember most things in the trees of menus or at least get there easily and quickly if you did forget, I think it's going to seem ergonomic to you.

But If you often find yourself scratching your head no matter how many times you've been through it, maybe it's an indication it's not ergonomic.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow