Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,557
or ...

Mark Ransom wrote:

Tony Rogers wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

Simon97 wrote:

If I were a Canon FF or even APSC user (I was an APSC user once), I would never consider such a slow long lens. For wildlife, shooting under the sun doesn't result in the most flattering images, I like shooting in overcast days to avoid the contrasty shadows. For sports, the shutter speed would be too slow. This would make these lenses pointless to me. Why they didn't go with f/8 is beyond me. Still slow, but with the DO optics, they still can be reasonably small.

This is exactly why this kind of slow lens was never made in the past, too many people believe as you and won't even consider them. No manufacturer wants to make a lens that won't sell. But with the strides made in high ISO over the last few years, it's possible to overcome those drawbacks of smaller apertures and enjoy the cost, size, and weight savings.

No More because an f/11 lens wouldn't autofocus on a dslr. Mirrorless has allowed it happen.

That's true too I guess. As long as you can get enough light to get a picture, you can use CDAF.

or PDAF like Canon does with their Dual Pixel AF.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow