Windows 10 need extra security software?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Windows 10 need extra security software?

Morris0 wrote:

jpegman wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Since Windows 7 I've never used anything over and above the anti-malware and anti-virus software built into Windows, and to the best of my knowledge I've never been infected with malware. But I am pretty cautious - I make thorough backups, I'm careful about where I go on the web and I use a virtual machine for anything I think might be a little sketchy, such as trying out software from a source that I don't entirely trust).

+1

Since Win 7 I've never used ANYTHING except MS Defender and Malwarebytes for my PC (and I visit quite a few "shady" sites0 and NEVER had a problem.

I've bought several PC/Laptops since then and they always seem to include a Free Norton or Avast program - I immediately deep 6 the install disks or at least erase the install programs when I start the PC and see them.

Don't get sucked into the marketing of Norton, I spent way too much time in the past trying to work around the heavy overhead of Norton or even uninstalling it COMPLETELY (Which is (was) very difficult in the past - once it's installed it thinks it owns your PC!

Hi Sean and Jpegman,

If you view photos and have a venerable codec or video driver you can experience a drive by infection. Both security issues have existed on W7 and W10. As you are hear I would assume that you visit the other forums where photos are displayed. I'd be surprised if you have not picked up at the very least some spyware.

Morris

Hi Morris,

I didn't fully understand what you are suggesting.

Are you saying that even with:

• Windows Security (Defender as was) enabled and up to date
  • Use of stand-alone software such as Malwarebytes
  • Drivers and other software kept up to date

Even with all of this, you would be surprised if people have not picked up spyware?

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
mxx
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow