Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,188
Re: Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

MHshooter wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

the point is that when the m4/3 and FF reaches the max iso of 25600 to get 1/1000 sec shutter speed at f11 m4/3 can can retain this shutter speed at f5.6 where the Canon has to drop to 1/250 sec when the light is poor. and when using a 300 f4 on m4/3 it can still shoot at 1/1000sec when the Canon has to drop to 1/125sec.

Do you really use m4/3 at ISO 25600? I'd never dare to go that high, not even sure it's possible with my camera. The only time I'd even be tempted is if I saw Bigfoot at dusk.

The point is that whatever your limit is on m4/3, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to go 2 stops higher on FF.

I don't and I would use 2 more stops more on a FF even less. The extra 2 stops shutter speed is more important, even during the heat and brightness of a summers day when you shoot at fast shutter speeds the ISO is high, This was shot at 1/4000 sec I normally don't shoot at shutter speeds this high but I was looking for sharp details of different cars, I do shoot at faster shutter speeds when the car is coming towards me but normally around 1/1000 sec. This was shot at 550mm, 1/4000 sec and iso 1800, at the brightest part of a july day. if I had shot at f11 this would have been ISO 7200. these ISO settings increase when the light level is lower. A f5.6 lens is far more practical for shooting sport than a slow f11, Forget equivalents for a minute this is the the way it is for sport. f5.6 is already a compromise but a economic and weight compromise. f11 is simply to much of a compromise to be useful except on a bright summers day for the midday hours.

If you wanted to add to the dynamics of that scene, not shooting at high speed would have been better. As it is, it looks like it's parked.

In this particular shot I was interested in the detail of the car and used it simply as a demonstration of the requirements of what iso is required midday to get a high shutter speed

I do shoot a range of shots at different settings.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow