Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Re: Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3?

Optical1 wrote:

Overrank wrote:

Optical1 wrote:

Hi all,

I am planning to return to film photography after spending the last several years solely shooting with digital cameras. I'm planning on purchasing a Nikon FM3 and a high quality 50mm(ish) normal prime lens to start.

I think I've narrowed down my list of lenses to the following:

Nikon NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 Lens

ZEISS Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 ZF.2 Lens for Nikon F

Nikon NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2 Lens

I'd like a decently fast lens, but I'm not caught up in the speed difference between F1.2 and 1.4 (or even f/2 for that matter). I'm also open to a slightly wide lens and have even considered the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 SL IIS Aspherical Lens for that matter, but I do gravitate toward something a bit tighter than 35mm.

Does anyone have recommendations on the above in a normal prime lens for the FM3?

Thanks!

Optical1

I don’t have an FM3, but my favourite 50mm Nikon is the Nikkor-H 50mm f/2, I used to have it in pre-AI on my F, but found I prefer it so much to the 50mm f/1.4 that I replaced it with the AI version (still the H but multicoated).

Thanks for the suggestion! I was not considering this lens, but will do so now. There is definitely a price premium for AI, but I'll give it a hard look to see if I can find a good copy.

I particularly like the way the 50mm f/2 renders colours.  It’s also a much smaller lens than the f/1.4. I think I paid about £60 for mine. As people have said the FE and FE2 give you most of the functionality of the fM3A for a lot less money and will deliver the same photos. With the FE you can also use pre-ai lenses including the 105mm f/2.5 which is superb for portraits.  (There is an AI version - I don’t think there’s much difference in the image).  You  lose some of the higher shutter speeds with the FE vs the FE2 (I have an FM which is very similar to the FE but without automatic exposure)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow