Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,307
Re: sensors, megapixels and such part 2

Macro guy wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

Not so, because we are considering the case where we are capturing the same image on a large sensor, with lots of photons, or on a small chunk of sensor with proportionally fewer photons. You’d need a proportionally smaller focal length lens to get the same angle of view of course.

What does having a different type of a lens have to do with sensor SNR?

I'm sure this has been covered already, but if you want to take photos with a large and a small sensor, with the same angle of view, you'll need different focal lengths.

I understand that, but the discussion was about SNR, rather than the angle of view, hence, my confusion.

Things are bit clearer if you consider film. You can take a large sheet of film and cut it up into small pieces, and the basic properties of the small pieces don't change. But tiny film cameras don't deliver the image quality that's available from larger cameras, even if they emulsions which are exactly the same except for size, and the primary reason for this is the total amount of light that is collected when making an image. The big chunk of film will deliver a higher SNR with the same exposure.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow