Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tuonov2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,566
Re: Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Matt_24 wrote:

Tuonov2 wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

and the VRII is worse than my F4 in terms of sharpness.

Is it? Where did you hear that?

I've owned the G2, the nikon f4 and the vr2, the VR2 is the sharpest of them all across the frame, especially stopped down. The G2 was about the same in the center but worse in the corners and the f4 was the least sharp across the whole frame.

Another source, they could have had a bad copy. Do you still have the VRII, G2 and the F4? How did the field curvature compare? Do you have samples?

No, I only own the VR2 now.

I upgraded my 80-200 to a VR1 which I wasn't really happy with, sold that and got an f4, I missed the shallow DOF @2.8 on my D500, so I only had that for a short while. Then I thought I'd save a bit of money and buy the G2 over a VR2 but the AF was inconsistent and it wouldn't AF at all on my V2&V3 so I went full circle and did what I should have done in the first place and got the VR2. All purchased used so I didn't lose any money and it was an interesting process nonetheless.

For what I use the lens for field curvature is irrelevant so it's not something I even considered, none of them were bad enough to notice. The only lenses that give a totally flat field are macro lenses, maybe the Nikon or Sigma 180mm macro's ould suit you better?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow