Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Optical1
OP Optical1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,111
Re: Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3?

Autonerd wrote:

Nikkor 50/1.4 should be fine. 1.2 IMHO is not worth the extra money for a fraction of a stop, and frankly the close-up DOF is so small at f/1.4 that I rarely use it.

Personally if I was going to go with a Nikon I'd be more likely to go with an FE or an FE2 -- electronic shutter is more accurate and it's nice to have an automatic mode. I happen to think the FM3/FM3a is *way* the hell overpriced compared to other cameras. Remember, film isn't like digital in that the camera has almost no effect on image quality. FM3a is a lovely camera but $300 buys a lot of film (and cameras).

Four photos below. Two are Nikon (Nikomat FT2 and Nikon FE, both with the Nikkor 50/1.4) and two are Ricoh (KR-10 with Pentax 50/1.7 worth about $30 each). Can anyone tell which photos were taken with which camera?

Aaron

Thanks for the suggestion Aaron.  I appreciate the suggestion.  I bet that the 1.4 is just fine for what I'm looking to do shooting casually with this combo.  I actually had an FM when I was shooting in the 90's, with a Nikon 50/1.4 that I remember fondly.  My camera was stolen from an overhead bin in 2000, and I lost my way from film photography.  When the FM3a was released in 2001 I remember I really wanted one, but $820 was beyond my college budget at the time.  You are correct though, the FM3a is waaay overpriced, and I could probably do with an FE or FE2.

Honestly, this purchase is a bit of nostalgia paired with a desire to shoot film again a bit.  My wife and I are having a baby soon, and this seems like a good reason to pull the trigger on my return to film.

I suppose the other thing I need to budget for here is a good scanner, so perhaps I should heed your advice here and put the savings toward a scanner.

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow