Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3? Zeiss Planar T* f/1.4 vs Nikkor f.1.2 or f/1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 932
Re: Returning to Film: 50mm suggestions for Nikon FM3?

Optical1 wrote:

Hi all,

I am planning to return to film photography after spending the last several years solely shooting with digital cameras. I'm planning on purchasing a Nikon FM3 and a high quality 50mm(ish) normal prime lens to start.

I think I've narrowed down my list of lenses to the following:

Nikon NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 Lens

ZEISS Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 ZF.2 Lens for Nikon F

Nikon NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2 Lens

I'd like a decently fast lens, but I'm not caught up in the speed difference between F1.2 and 1.4 (or even f/2 for that matter). I'm also open to a slightly wide lens and have even considered the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 SL IIS Aspherical Lens for that matter, but I do gravitate toward something a bit tighter than 35mm.

Does anyone have recommendations on the above in a normal prime lens for the FM3?

Thanks!

Optical1

I don’t have an FM3, but my favourite 50mm Nikon is the Nikkor-H 50mm f/2, I used to have it in pre-AI on my F, but found I prefer it so much to the 50mm f/1.4 that I replaced it with the AI version (still the H but multicoated).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow