Windows 10 need extra security software?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,807
Windows 10 need extra security software?

Please give me your views and reasons regarding whether I should continue to use Norton security software on my Windows 10 Home 64-bit computer, or simply use Windows Defender + Windows firewall. FWIW this machine started life with Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and my user account is the administrator account. I realize that many people think the better practice--at least with Windows 10, not sure how long this has been recommended--is to have a separate administrator account, and then make all user accounts non-administrator accounts. I have not tried to do that, and I'm not sure I want to, but if you have views and reasons on that, feel free to share them.

Norton is driving me nuts. Over and above what seems to be significant overhead, several times it has blocked me from installing legitimate software--even after I disable all of the Norton components I can conveniently disable from the system tray. Not too long ago I had to totally uninstall Norton, reboot, install new software, then reinstall Norton. It has wrongfully interfered with my installing software downloaded directly from X-Rite, DDI Software (Qimage Ultimate), LibRaw (RawDigger and FastRawViewer), and I think one or two others. Last night it told me the download of the latest version of Qimate Ultimate was safe, then I disabled the two Norton components, and then it turned around some other component blocked the installation.

So: what do you suggest, and why? Thanks!

Thanks!

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
mxx
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow