Re: Stop making things up.

HRC2016 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Are you sure this reply was intended for me ?

Yes. You said that third-party batteries "often fail". I'm asking you to supply some evidence to support that assertion. Specifically, can you tell us what percentage of reputable third-party batteries fail in normal use, and how that compares to OEM batteries?

Sure . I have probably got or tested more than 50 third party batteries (from this total 10 were fine on arrival but were sold or given to someone else quickly so I am excluding them from statistics). Out of those 50, I would say about 8 or 9 arrived dead on arrival or with an issue . More than 20 developed a problem died within a year, or less , of purchase .

After 2 years of moderate use ( I always use manufacturer s batteries first ) about 20 still work but of course do not last as long as the original manufacturer s battery. Third party battery usually lasts about two thirds of the original . But if you want to look at the glass half full rather than half empty , you could also say that they also recharge faster as they do not have the same power.

I also have had the swelling battery issue on at least 2 batteries that I can remember from different brands and for different cameras

OK - so that's 2 out of 40 (or is it 50,,,?). Hardly enough to say they often fail.

You are kidding right ?

No.

May I suggest you read my post BEFORE replying to it ?

the 2 you are referring to is ONLY the swelling issue

May I suggest you go back and read how this exchange of views began? In case you've forgotten:

Harold66 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

If you use a third-party battery make sure you stick some dental floss in the battery well.

That way, when the battery expands you can still remove it safely.

I think suggesting that a third-party battery will always fail and expand is seriously misleading.

ok not always but often to very often

If you look at my figures...

As I said, I would prefer to look at independent tests from a known source.

I'm simply disputing that third-party batteries always (as HRC2016 implied) or often to very often (as you claimed) fail and expand.

Brian, you are making things up. Do you work for a company that sells batteries? II NEVER said 3rd party batteries always fail.

What you said was:

HRC2016 wrote:

If you use a third-party battery make sure you stick some dental floss in the battery well.

That way, when the battery expands you can still remove it safely.

It was your use of the word "when" rather than "if" that led me to believe you thought expansion was inevitable.

I would really like to see an evaluation done under controlled conditions by an independent source that compares a variety of OEM and third-party batteries for safety, capacity, longevity and reliability.  Until then, I will continue to use only OEM batteries in my Nikons.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow