Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,142
Re: Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Hubertus Bigend wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

pforsell wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Hubertus Bigend wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Hubertus Bigend wrote:

Richandhiscat wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

You don't always need hulking $15,000 f4 long-telephotos to do a job. Most cases, whatever is being shot using focal lengths like that will be cropped so even if the likely inexpensive f11 lenses are not fantastic on the edges, it won't matter.

Why are you posting in the m4/3 forum?

Perhaps because those Canon lenses are in principle very similar to what we already have been having for years in Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds, and what he say may be true for some of them, too?

They are 2 shutter speeds slower in poor light than a F5.6 lens. 3 shutter speeds slower than the Olympus 300mm f4 with equivalent 600mm FOV.

No, they aren't. Because the camera is already 2 shutter speeds faster than Olympus, as it can and will be used with 2 steps more ISO, if necessary, without getting into a disadvantage.

How is that, fit a 5.6 lens onto the canon and it's 2 shutter speeds faster than f11, you are confusing equivalent depth of field with shutter speed between formats. 100 ISO and f5.6 will give the same shutter speed on any format. The Canon has 2 stops better noise control dynamic rang etc, not shutter speed.

Way to miss the point. 100 ISO and F/5.6 will give the same shutter speed as 400 ISO and F/11. The bigger sensor will let you use a higher ISO without any penalties. If you still want to use the lower ISO, nobody is stopping you from buying a bigger more expensive lens.

The point is that you will not always be able to use 100 iso on m4/3 the other morning when reading of these f11 lenses ...

These Canon lenses are for Canon full frame, not m3/4. They do the same job on FF camera as f/5.6 lenses on m3/4.

I know that, thanks for the selective editing!

the point is that when the m4/3 and FF reaches the max iso of 25600 to get 1/1000 sec shutter speed at f11 m4/3 can can retain this shutter speed at f5.6 where the Canon has to drop to 1/250 sec when the light is poor. and when using a 300 f4 on m4/3 it can still shoot at 1/1000sec when the Canon has to drop to 1/125sec.

I didn't fully get what you meant there when I wrote my last answer, either, but now I see what you mean. Still, your point is moot – both existing Canon RF cameras have an ISO range that goes up to 102,400, so there's nothing to fear in this case. (And you could always underexpose and push in post without losing too much, even if that wasn't the case.)

Would you really be happy shooting in poor light at those high ISO settings, regularly, instead of a occasional emergency.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow