Sony full frame advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,593
Re: Sony full frame advice

Cato1040 wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Cato1040 wrote:

Are you willing to buy used? If so, I would think you could get an A7III with the kit lens at that price.

The kit zoom is awful, to be replaced as soon as possible. Honestly, it's a waste of a good camera. If you're happy with its level of performance, you might as well go Micro Four Thirds, because you'll get only 16-20MP of resolution from it anywhere away from the center, even when mounted on a 42MP body. I know, because I have extensive MFT and a7III/a7RIII kits, and I did the comparison on a group portrait of 80 people, stopped down with flash.

I wouldn't say it's an awful lens. I've heard many say it's above average for a kit lens.

Don't believe it. The falloff in sharpness even at the APS frame is obvious, and it's much less consistent edge-to-edge than any Panasonic zoom I've owned over the past 7 years.

Whether it's a waste of a good camera is subjective but I could understand why you might say so.

And it can be a way to enter the Sony Full Frame system. An M43 camera with the pro f/2.8 zoom lenses could be comparable or better but then you're in that system and have, in a way, hit the ceiling, whereas with this A7 kit, at this budget, you're kind of at the floor with room to grow in the system.

OTOH, if you're just going to sell the a7II because of its slow AF and noise in low light, and the kit zoom because it can't resolve 20MP, you'd be no worse off with MFT or APS. You could sell any of these later when you're ready to buy a modern, quality Sony 35mm-format kit.

If you want a better lens, I think you could also get an A7RII with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 in your budget.

Yes, this represents good value and superb IQ.

If you need to buy used, I'd prioritize the lens. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is fantastic. You can buy the cheapest body you can (A7 or A7II) then upgrade to the A7III when its price drops (which it probably will once the A7IV is released) or when you can afford it.

Not a bad strategy, but low-light performance (AF & noise) of the a7/a7II is pretty weak.

Subjectively.

You keep using that word...

https://youtu.be/dTRKCXC0JFg

Another starter strategy is to get an a7III or a7RII and just one or two cheap primes - maybe a Nifty Fifty and/or Samyang's 18/2.8 or 35/1.4.

As long as the OP doesn't prefer a zoom.

Um, yeah. Thanks for clearing that up.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow