Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 26,790
Re: Canon's release of 600/800mm f11 lenses PROVES you don't need Cannons!

cosmicnode wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Hubertus Bigend wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

Hubertus Bigend wrote:

Richandhiscat wrote:

MHshooter wrote:

You don't always need hulking $15,000 f4 long-telephotos to do a job. Most cases, whatever is being shot using focal lengths like that will be cropped so even if the likely inexpensive f11 lenses are not fantastic on the edges, it won't matter.

Why are you posting in the m4/3 forum?

Perhaps because those Canon lenses are in principle very similar to what we already have been having for years in Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds, and what he say may be true for some of them, too?

They are 2 shutter speeds slower in poor light than a F5.6 lens. 3 shutter speeds slower than the Olympus 300mm f4 with equivalent 600mm FOV.

No, they aren't. Because the camera is already 2 shutter speeds faster than Olympus, as it can and will be used with 2 steps more ISO, if necessary, without getting into a disadvantage.

How is that, fit a 5.6 lens onto the canon and it's 2 shutter speeds faster than f11, you are confusing equivalent depth of field with shutter speed between formats. 100 ISO and f5.6 will give the same shutter speed on any format. The Canon has 2 stops better noise control dynamic rang etc, not shutter speed.

Way to miss the point. 100 ISO and F/5.6 will give the same shutter speed as 400 ISO and F/11. The bigger sensor will let you use a higher ISO without any penalties. If you still want to use the lower ISO, nobody is stopping you from buying a bigger more expensive lens.

The point is that you will not always be able to use 100 iso on m4/3 the other morning when reading of these f11 lenses I took a meter reading outside, It was grey overcast and light rain, I have shot motorsport in much darker conditions. the reading was 1000 sec at f11 and ISO maxed out at 25600, when it gets darker still you loose the ability of a f11 lens to maintain the faster shutter speeds. Generally long lenses need faster shutter speeds in practical use the shutter speed is the most important choice for sports. its not about using a lower iso, its about being able to take a picture on anything other than a bright summers day but not at dawn or dusk.

i usually prefer slower shutter speeds for motorsports to get some motion blur, i would imagine these lenses would be fine if you shoot around the 1/200 mark, horses for courses i guess

It's a choice of shutter speeds, I to normally shoot panning at slow shutter speeds but head on I use much faster shutter speeds cars move quite a lot during a slow exposure. however as I pointed out the light can get a lot poorer at times where you will end up without a choice, BIF would suffer more than motorsport and how about other sports such as football, tennis where the players arms or legs would become a blurr at slow speeds.

i'm quite happy shooting low shutter speeds for head on but the price you pay for lack of versatility is a cheaper, smaller and lighter lens to use on your FF camera, in decent light the lens would be fine, if it isn't i am sure canon would sell you something bigger, heavier and more expensive

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow