Diffraction determined by entrance pupil or exit pupil?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Jack Hogan Veteran Member • Posts: 7,440
Re: Diffraction, Fourier and Focal Planes - Example

Joofa wrote:

Right, though to get to the above equation a certain assumption has been made about the phase factor in the object space coordinates (more on it below) that makes the amplitude impulse response a little less stable than the corresponding intensity impulse response. Good thing is that in photography it is the later that is usually desired.

The function P(x,y) can't oscillate too wildly for the relations presented here to remain valid. But, in photographic applications that is the usual case.

Good to know, thanks.

In the case that you considered f/De worked out to be zi/Dx. In general, you would need an additional factor of (1 + m / p).

Noted, for cases where the lens is not focused at infinity I assume.

BTW, at a cursory glance I could not find the parameters .702/2.048 and angle 9.9 degrees in Bill C. diagram that is linked in various messages in this thread? Or, may be I missed.

Those are physical measurements of f and the distance between marginal rays at the rear principal plane: I used PhotoShop

Makes sense. How does one deal easily with phase differences due to curvature in this case?

The phase factor in the image plane coordinates can be ignored as intensity is desired for photographic applications. However, the phase factor in the object space coordinates poses some problems. Goodman says that one can justify ignoring it on the basis that the size of the impulse response limits the object space extent that contributes meaningfully to an image output point.

Quite, thanks for that Joofa.

Jack

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow