Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,175
Re: Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4, F4 TEST

Matt_24 wrote:

Why rent the E? I thought I made it somewhat clear the g2 should have the better corners.

You first claimed that the problem was "field curvature."  When several people pointed out that likely wasn't the case, you "proved" to yourself it was.

So, what are you going to do when you buy the Tamron, go to duplicate your train shot, and come up with pretty much identical results?  Because I think there's an excellent chance that's exactly what's going to happen.  My guess is that you'll end up spending time and money exchanging copies.

My f4 is sufficiently sharp in the center and I assume the g2 is just as sharp in the center if not more. The E is definitely sharper in the center than the G2 but that's not my problem, it's the corner.

I take it you are drawing these conclusions from online tests, since you haven't used either lens yet.  Well, those same online tests showed that the 70-200mm f/4 did not suffer from field curvature at 200mm, and yet you "proved" otherwise.  So why trust them now?

I get that "seeing is believing," and that it's your gear, your money, your time and your choice.  But I suggested renting the "E" so you know what you what is and isn't reasonable to expect.

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow