To Wide Zoom, or not to Wide Zoom?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
thiefofpresence
OP thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 862
Re: To Wide Zoom, or not to Wide Zoom?

PWPhotography wrote:

I am very happy in my FE 16-35 GM, and still will choose it today. I have carried it into several trips with great result.

I certainly could not go wrong with that choice, but have to consider the Tamron and Sigma options, given the Wide zoom is the last of my kit adds (reflecting its priority in my shooting)

2) Don't like super UWA with unproportional forefront and severe distortion. 16mm usually is wide enough without much distortion.

Yes I frankly worry I wont need 14mm very often, let alone 12mm. The use case where hard-to-exclude foreground works in the composition are a challenge to say the least.

3) Very important factor that I can use regular filters

Humbly I have to admit doing little more than wasting my money on protective filters and doing most of my color correction with RAW in lightroom. I'd be open to learning more about it, then this might be a more relevant factor.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A9ii | Sony FE 20/1.8 G; Minolta M-Rokkor 28/2.8; Sony FE 35/1.8; Sigma 45/2.8 C; Sony Sonnar 55/1.8; Samyang AF 85/1.4; Sigma 70/2.8 Macro Art | Sigma 24-70/2.8 Art; Sony FE 24-105/4 G; Tamron 28-200; Tamron 70-180/2.8; Sony FE 100-400 GM; Sony FE 200-600 G;

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a9 II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow