With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,102
Re: It's a good question

nk4002r wrote:

Yes, I agree with you. There was a bubble - a boom period when new cameras came often. That period is over, now we'll have the same camera model for 4-5 years. What people should be asking for is firmware upgrades. The Z7 with V3 firmware is already the Z7II in my opinion. It improved so much and we must appreciate that and applaud Nikon. When released, the Z7 exceeded the A7RII, but was a little behind the A7RIII, with firmware V3 it is on par and arguably exceeds it - certainly for my requirements. The 61MP of the A7RIV is not something to covet...

The Z5, Z8 and Z9 are not even rumors, there isn't any credible information about the planned Nikon camera line up. Even if there was a public Nikon corporate plan, all bets are off in these changing economic times.

Exactly. The problem is that many people are incapable of thinking rationally and emotionally neutral, instead their thinking is controlled by emotions and what they wish for, not what is probable. I don't care how many models Nikon will release, and if the global financial situation would allow, I would welcome many new models, but currently everyone is fighting for survival and in this situation, to flood the market with many models would be totally crazy.

Who would buy those cameras when large number of the consumers lost their income in the traces of COVID-19 and force to chose between food and milk or a new camera...? Who would chose a new camera in that situation? Nikon knows that very well also, so pushing new models on the current market for the coming 1-2-3 years would be suicide for them unless carefully planed in a replacement scheme and aiming at a specific group. Low end consumers will definitely not spend money on new cameras unless their finances are solid, and even high end users like professional photographers probably consider carefully is a new camera is REALLY needed at this moment of uncertainty.

I am not that well informed about how well the photography business is doing, but my guess is that it suffered a lot during the last months, perhaps much more than many other businesses. With weddings sport events and cancelled, customers losing their income, large companies struggle and so on, it is an easy choice to skip the pro photographer as saving money activity. I don't know if that's happening, but I am pretty sure that business is NOT as usual for the photography business.

I would be very surprised if Nikon would ignore all of the above and would go on just like before, like if COVID-19 never existed. I think that the world changed forever, and the world we knew will never return to as it was before.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow