Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Matt_24 Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4, F4 TEST

Michael Benveniste wrote:

Matt_24 wrote:

The E is a little out of my budget. If the G2 has poor field curvature as well I would be more willing to consider it.

Even though it's out of your budget, I would suggest you rent one for a couple of reasons.

• It sets a cap on expectations. If you are still seeing a lack of corner sharpness, you'll know that perhaps the other posters were correct.
  • It eliminates observer bias.

Based on Roger Cicala's tests here and here, I see no evidence of field curvature at 200mm among the 9 samples he tested. That doesn't mean yours doesn't have it. What I do see is a substantial drop in contrast and increase in astigmatism at high frequency towards the corners.

If you decide to switch to either the Tamron or the Sigma 70-200mm, or even the 70-200mm VR-II I use, I think there's at least an even money chance you'll be back here complaining about that lens as well. TANSTAAPZ. There ain't no such thing as a perfect zoom.

Why rent the E? I thought I made it somewhat clear the g2 should have the better corners. My f4 is sufficiently sharp in the center and I assume the g2 is just as sharp in the center if not more. The E is definitely sharper in the center than the G2 but that's not my problem, it's the corner.

Matt_24's gear list:Matt_24's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow