Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,370
Re: Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

saltydogstudios wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

saltydogstudios wrote:

tbcass wrote:

rb61 wrote:

Is there one camera manufacturer that stands out as a leader when it comes to intuitive menus?

Please ignore, if possible, stratospheric priced cameras.

Thanks

There is no such thing as an intuitive menu. There are menus that we are familiar with and ones we are not familiar with. How would you define intuitive? The best system is one you can design yourself.

Hick's Law is a good place to start leaning about menu design.

https://uxdesign.cc/do-you-know-the-law-that-makes-or-breaks-a-ux-designer-hicks-law-6f2651400663

Good article. I think it's a good start at identifying how we approach interfaces. I think it's a good start but it can go in the other direction. With camera menus, it becomes about grouping tasks and putting them where they belong. It's that "where they belong" that can be daunting and subjective.

But maybe the real issue here is simple to solve - can you put all the most needed tasks on a button so they are one click away and let the menus be well organized for when you might want them?

My feeling is that while my Nikon menus were better than my Sony for intuitive placement and naming of things, there were enough custom buttons and dials and it operated so well through the screens that I never used the menus after I got it set up.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64113262

That's literally what I argue a couple dozen posts up from here.

Wait...this is starting to sound like something we've discussed before. 

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow