Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543
Re: Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Matt_24 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

I didn't see your other thread but here's a test shot from my D750 plus 70-200 f/4 wide open. Can't see any significant poor corner softness. Did you try AF Fine Tune on your copy? Sometimes you need to 'balance' the sharpness between center and corners a bit with AFFT. Or maybe you have a bad copy.

I did see the OP's other thread - he seems convinced that the problem is field curvature, but those who responded don't seem to think so. I agree - I never saw a particular issue with field curvature when I owned a 70-200mm f/4 and used it on a D800.

I tested it, it's field curvature. 100% certain. If the range is the same why would the corner always be worse? The center of the hill was significantly better. When I did the brick wall test I was able to get the corner way sharper by focusing on the corner at F9 versus focusing on the center.

It's really only a problem when I have a hill in the background. The curvature in the bottom helps by making foreground objects sharper (any far objects close to the ground will be blurred heat distortion enough the effect of the curvature doesn't really affect the sharpness in a noticeable way. However, objects high above the ground far away are a problem. The curvature on the sides of the frame are noticeable but much smaller and often cropped out if I change the tilt of my photo in post.

It's probably a misalignment problem where one or more elements in the lens are skewed causing the focal plane not to be parallel to the sensor.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

-- hide signature --

Philip

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow