Unscientific comparison fa 77ltd vs DFA* 85.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,998
Unscientific comparison fa 77ltd vs DFA* 85.

Still not manging to get out and shoot properly with 85 but I did manage to try to get some comparison shots done with the 77 , and I'm sharing one here shot from the same spot (so the framing with 85 is slightly tighter) both at f/2 . I need to point out two things in case they are not obvious

1. The k1 focused very slightly differently in the two shots because the DoF is shallow you can't take identical areas and compare them. 
  2. In the time it took to change lenses the sun went behind a cloud, so there is more contrast in the 77 image. (compare the bottom right corners)

So it's not a perfect test, that would be indoors with fixed lighting and manual focus

77 on the left, 85 on the right

Under normal viewing the 77 has more than enough detail, but look in the bottom left corner, and you can see how much busier the out of focus areas are.  Zooming in, lets look at the purple flower in the background near the centre

again 77 ltd on the left, DFA 85 on the right

The rendering out the out-of-focus areas is very different, the smoother 85 is more pleasing to my eye. Overall there is more detail in the 85 in both the seed-heads on the left and the petals on the right.

I'm pleased to find that these very similar focal lengths have quite different characters.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow