Deleting Windows.old after 2004 update

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,590
Re: Deleting Windows.old after 2004 update

sacentre wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Patco wrote:

Austinian wrote:

I don't know if this is still the case, but the last time I used Linux to access a Windows 10 drive it didn't work properly. I forget the details (it's been a while) but as I recall I had to reboot the W10 drive and disable Fast Startup on it before Linux could read the files.

That makes sense, but I always have Fast Startup disabled.

So do I, after I discovered that. Anything that messes with the filesystem makes me nervous. Startup nowadays is plenty fast without it, as far as I'm concerned.

I tried plugging my Windows drive into a spare Linux (Fedora Workstation 32) machine.

I can access the Windows.old folder but after resetting the permissions to Create and Delete Files, I still can't delete the folder or any of the sub folders. The "Move to" option is greyed out. MS sure if this is MS security that's got it locked down or something I did that's screwed things up.

You mentioned that you have image backups: one option is to restore that, re-do the 2004 update and remove the old build via Windows cleanup.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow