Sony full frame advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,601
MFT primes instead.

Polemica wrote:

Hi guys

I need your help choosing a new camera. I started taking pictures three years ago with a panasonic mft entry level mirrorless and now i want to step up my photo with a full frame camera. I'm not a professional photographer but i love taking portrait photo, so for this reason i want to switch to full frame for the sweet bokeh and low light performance.

I am a corporate event & portrait pro shooting both MFT and Sony a7III/a7RIII, and have done a lot of my work over the past 6 years with MFT bodies with f1.7, f1.8 & f2.0 primes. A 42.5/1.7 or 45/1.8 can make excellent portraits with nicely blurred backgrounds. A 75/1.8 is also excellent, though you need more distance from your subject. For corporate headshots I use a 35-100/2.8 at f2.8 or f4 for sufficient DoF to keep the tip of the nose and the eyes in focus.

I have a budget of 1500-1800 € (1500 is better of course). With this price range in mind i selected four different setup (all prices are from a local camera shop, i'd prefer to not buy from amazon or online seller):

• Sony A7 m2 with 28-70 kit (1017 €) + another lens (a 50 mm maybe?). What lens do you recomend?

The a7II has an ancient sensor that's not particularly good in terms of noise at high ISO. a7RII is another story - very close to a7RIII in terms of IQ. In fact, it has the same sensor as the a7RIII.

A modern MFT camera with f1.7 prime will deliver cleaner images in low light than an a7II with f2.8 zoom.

• Sony A7 m2 body only (960 €) + Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (806€)

I wouldn't.

• sony A7 m2 body only (960 €) + possibly two other lenses (i hve no idea what lenses fit the budget, so i'm asking you)

I wouldn't.

• Sony A7 m3 with 28-70 kit ( 2084 €) this option implies selling a kidney for the extra cash

Sony's 28-70/3.5-5.6 kit zoom is a dog - very soft anywhere away from the center, even stopped down. It's a waste of a good camera.

If you have other suggestion or doubt feel free to let me know, thanks in advance fof your anwers!

How about an a7RII (possibly used or refurbished) with Tamron 28-70/2.8?

It's too bad there isn't (AFAIK) a sharp and affordable f4 or f3.5-5.6 standard zoom for Sony FE. If low light and shallow DoF are your priorities, though, you'd be better served by, say, 35mm & 85mm f1.4 or f1.8 primes. Samyang's 35/1.4 and Sony's 85/1.8 are very good and relatively affordable.

I still think, though, that you'll be well served for much less money by simply adding some tiny and affordable primes to your MFT kit. I could still do all my pro work with MFT today. I got the 35mm kit only for those situations where I need to shoot no-flash in very dim light at ISO 6400 and above.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow