Sony full frame advice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,994
Re: Sony full frame advice

I can't address much of what you ask but I got the A7 III last December. I had considered the A7R IV but decided I didn't want to deal with the larger files, in post or in the extra storage space. I regret that now as I have since upgraded my computer from i7 4th gen and 8 Gigs of RAM to i7 9th gen and 64 Gigs of RAM.  Also, long-term storage isn't really a problem with magnetic media being so inexpensive these days.

I chose the Sony 24-105mm G lens for its wider range/longer reach and because my subjects are almost always family gatherings and other events and some architecture and sometimes landscapes.  I almost never use apertures larger than f/4 and when I do, I don't like the shallow field of focus. When I do portraits, I use my m43 (GH5).

By the way, the difference between 28mm and 24mm is pronounced.

As for the f/4 of the 24-105mm, out-of-focus backgrounds can always be produced in post.

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow