With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,102
Re: It's a good question

michaeladawson wrote:

So Nikon's DSLR line-up (full frame) is:

D610 (entry) -> D780 (mid-level "prosumer") -> D850 (high MP "pro") -> D6 (flagship "pro")

Note: CURRENT and existing.

What does a Z lineup look like if there is both a Z7 and Z8?

Z5 (entry) -> Z6 (mid-level "prosumer") -> Z7 (high MP "prosumer") -> Z8 (higher MP "pro") -> Z9 (flagship "pro")

Note: Some CURRENT and existing, but more than half is SPECULATION and imaginative.

You can't compare imaginative cameras with existing ones. Forget about Z5, when (if) that comes the Z6 will be phased out. Forget about the Z8 and the Z9 for a long time. When one of those comes, the Z7 will be phased out and replaced.

I don't think Nikon will continue spitting out as many mirrorless models as they once did with DSLRs. That time is forever gone. I think you must see it as the Z6 is a D610 AND D780 in one, and the Z7 is the D850 of the mirrorless cameras. I know many people won't accept this view, but I think they are simply refusing to accept reality. Nikon won't have any interest in, and resources to continuing the DSLR line as well as the mirrorless line in parallel, so they will drop the DSLR. Maybe one more model to be expected (D7 maybe), but after that it's all gone. I am pretty sure about that. ...and when (if) the Z8 comes, the Z7 will be dropped as a natural step forward in development.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow