Panasonic G9 and the future......

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Ken Yull
Ken Yull Senior Member • Posts: 2,332
Re: I would wait

Alexis D wrote:

s.seng wrote:

I would prefer a G9 mini; say about 20% lighter and smaller; ie same size as G80/85 San top panel.

Even though I like the functionality of G9, I find the size and weight just bit too much for my liking. Main reason to move m43 ten years ago to G1 with twin lens kit is to avoid the bulky DSLR's. I had few clasi style G bodies over the years, now stopped at G80.

Each iterations do Panasonic and Olympus tended to grow heaver and heaver to a point now they are overtaking the new breed of FF camera bodies in weight and bulk. Even though the lenses are lighter, but it doesn't have the same appeal as before.

Seng

Agree. The G9 is also too big for me. It is probably not possible to make it 20% smaller, unless it could have some expensive processor similar what's in top smartphones, which I understand are both faster and more energy efficient (or less hot to run). That would reduce the bulk of the heat management hardware in the camera as well as the battery size. I think that will still need compatible camera software. Getting rid of the non-essential features like the LCD display and the twin card slots will also help to reduce the size, the complexity and power consumption, and importantly the costs. I think something the size of the G85 should be fine, but not any bigger.

So, I wish Panasonic can see the opportunity to sell a camera the size of the E-M5 or G85 to Olympus as well as Panasonic users. No plastic please.

I have G80/85 and recently decided to get another but found that a G90 was only £50 more so bought G90 and to me I think it is the G80 on steroids, better grip, EVF, faster focusing and same size within a few mm, weight almost identical, and after selling my previous G9 because of the extra unwarranted bulk, I find performance on a par with G9 with a few extra options also.

The G9 is a great camera but due to size is pushing the limit on expected mft size. It is OK for those with large hands and don't mind the weight.

In my mind the G90 and G9 share the podium position.

-- hide signature --

Cheers. Ken.

Ken Yull's gear list:Ken Yull's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic G90 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow