Deleting Windows.old after 2004 update

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Deleting Windows.old after 2004 update

sacentre wrote:

Robert Zanatta wrote:

You'll likely have to take ownership of the directory and all child objects. But if you can wait a bit, do so.

One of the many things I've tried is a utility called Take Ownership which is supposed to automate all the permission changes. Still can't delete Windows.old afterwards though.

The risk is that if you half remove the previous build, e.g. delete some of the contents of windows.old but not the the directory itself, then Windows may not try to delete it, and it may be left there for ever.

I'm surprised that Windows didn't offer the option to delete the old build.  On the three machines I have that upgraded it did offer me that option.  I can't rememember exactly what it was called and where I found it (and it's gone now as Windows has deleted the old build anyway), but I think I found it in both the old W7 place (right click the C drive icon in Winows Explorer, go to properties, Disk Cleanup and then Clean up system files) and in Settings -> System -> Storage.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow