Buy a Panasonic

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 5,154
Buy a Panasonic

So long, Olympus. Nice to have used some of your fine cameras since the 70s. I will be buying Panasonic from now on.

I waited 8 years for an upgrade for my E-M5s in vain. Olympus has not made any new camera since 2012 that has these basic things for me to upgrade:

1. a compact body

2. a new sensor

3. a Tilt screen.

The only camera with all these is Panasonic's GX9 and I bought it recently. I have to accept the poor EVF, the rangefinder styling, the lack of WR but I had no choice, as there's no point waiting and wishing for something from Olympus any more.

The writing has been on the wall ever since IBIS appeared on cameras from other brands. Olympus did not have anything left that can really distinguish its camera since 2016, as others caught up in IBIS, while overtaking it in other features. The move to higher priced and bigger products only accelerated its demise.

I would encourage more people to buy Panasonic when they need something M43. Look forward and do what's best considering the future, your future. The time to get sad and sentimental is over. The only good reason to buy a Olympus camera is to be able to use 43 lenses IMO.

Panasonic will hopefully release a G10 and GX10 that has a tilt screen later. And hopefully they can see an opportunity here. I think it is necessary to have a mid level but high quality and compact camera, one that can sell in volume, like the original E-M5, as more FF cameras under $2000 arrive. Panasonic has to survive in M43, or sell enough products, if you want to have support and new products in future, and that should be a good reason to buy Panasonic products instead of Olympus. All the analysis or autopsy, tears and arguments are useless. It's now about survival, of M43.

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Samsung GX-10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow