Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt_24 Regular Member • Posts: 185
Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 vs Nikon 70-200 F4

So I made a thread yesterday trying to sort out what the problem with my lens is, now that I have sorted that out I created a new thread for the solution(I have found in the past changing a thread's purpose creates confusion so I decided to create a new one).

The problem is simply that my F4 has too much field curvature at the edges of the frame. It is unacceptable and given my subject (action landscapes of trains basically) I can rarely stop down past f10. I can deal with the issue for now by just accepting I will shoot a little extra wide and crop in post (I have D800E so I have some spare pixels). But going forwards the Tamron G2 seems to be the best option, the nikon FL is too expensive and the VRII is worse than my F4 in terms of sharpness. I simply want to know how the G2 compares to my F4 in field curvature and how it should perform compared to my 70-200 f4 at apertures f8 through f10. If the G2 has curvature similar or worse than the F4 I would be open to using the VRII even with the decrease in sharpness. Also feel free to mention any lenses I have left out. I would prefer not to go over $1k USD (used lenses). Maybe the Tamron G1 might be similar in sharpness to my F4 but I'm not certain.

Also, does anybody have a brick wall test of their F4 so I can confirm that I just don't have a bad copy?

Thanks to all the kind folks on this forum that have helped me in the past and continue to do so.

Matt_24's gear list:Matt_24's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow