Deleting Windows.old after 2004 update

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,593
Re: Deleting Windows.old after 2004 update

sacentre wrote:

Can any suggest a trick for deleting this pesky folder? I know it's supposed to get automatically deleted after so many days following an update but I'd like to do it myself.

In the past, following a Windows update I've usually been able to get rid of it easily using Disk Cleanup. This time after the 2004 update, I do not see the "delete older versions of Windows" option.

I've tried loads of suggestions from the web including ready made file/folder deletion utilities as well as command line instructions but nothing works. Did

MS lock this folder in some special way different from previous Windows updates?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Trevor

Windows deletes the previous build after about 10 days (it used to be longer).  That's what's happened on three different machines on which 2004 got installed (after it was offered - I didn't force any of them to update).  Yes, Disk Cleanup will get rid of it.  You can just type Disk Cleanup in the seach bar.  It should offer at least two choices: one takes you to the appropriate bit of Settings, and another should take you to the old W7 Disk clean-up.

However, do you need the disk space in the mean time?  How pi$$ed would you feel if you get some problem where you thiink "I'd really like to roll back to 1909 just to check if that's the issue"?  I know the urge to get rid of all of that "unnececssary" disk usage, but I try to resist the it until Windows does it for me!

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow