Samyang 75/1.8 vs Sony 85/1.8 shootout

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,959
Samyang 75/1.8 vs Sony 85/1.8 shootout

I’ve had the Sony 85/1.8 for a while, it’s a lovely lens, but I’m always looking to save weight in my camera bag. So of course I ordered the Samyang 75/1.8, which arrived a few days ago.

The things I’m really looking to see here is how good the overall rendering is (bokeh, color, contrast), if it has decent center to midframe sharpness, and how well the AF works. I was curious to see how big of a difference 75mm vs 85mm makes as well.

First impressions with the little Samyang are generally good.

Images are RAW processed with Lighroom. Lens corrections turned off for both lenses.

• Overall rendering for both lenses is nice in my opinion
  • The Sony is sharper wide open (nicely sharp even into the corners). The Samyang is a little soft wide open in the center and softer still in the corners, but sharpens up nicely upon stopping down. At F4 the Samyang is sharp for all but the extreme corners and by F8 the corners look good too.
  • Both lenses have a little CA wide open but the Samyang seems to handle this better (see the text on the barcode)
  • The Samyang is a little darker at larger apertures, looks like its t-stop is about 1/6-1/3 stop darker, though slight changes in lighting could be at play here
  • Contrast is a little more punchy with the Samyang
  • The Samyang’s color is a little warmer, while the Sony is fairly neutral
  • Bokeh is fairly pleasant with both lenses. I’m sure others will form strong opinions here but neither is producing bokeh that would detract from a shot. It’s a little difficult to compare bokeh directly with the different angle of view though
  • DOF is a bit shallower with the Sony 85mm due to the longer focal length
  • AF is fast, quiet, and seems reliable. I haven’t really pushed this as far as tracking fast action goes or done scientific testing (hence no photos of this), but it seems to track and hold a subject fairly well.
  • Macro reproduction seems about even, the Samyang focuses a bit closer but this is offset by the longer focal length with the Sony
  • The difference in focal length doesn’t affect how I shoot much. 75mm feels a little easier to work with indoors.

Samyang 75mm 1.8

Sony 85mm 1.8

Samyang 75mm 4.0

Sony 85mm 8.0

Samyang 75mm 8.0

Sony 85mm 8.0

Samyang 75mm 1.8

Sony 85mm 1.8

Samyang 75mm 4.0

Sony 85mm 4.0

Samyang 75mm 8.0

Sony 85mm 8.0

Samyang 75mm 1.8

Sony 85mm 1.8

Samyang 75mm 4.0

Sony 85mm 4.0

Samyang 75mm 8.0

Sony 85mm 8.0

Samyang 75mm 1.8

Sony 85mm 1.8

Samyang 75mm 4.0

Sony 85mm 4.0

Samyang 75mm 8.0

Sony 85mm 1.8

Framing / focal length comparison 75mm vs 85mm

I will likely keep the Samyang and sell the Sony. For me it boils down to size/weight. I do a lot of my photography while traveling, often internationally, so being able to pack a light bag is very important to me. I switched back to Sony recently after shooting with M43 for a number years, so it's great to see these M43-sized lenses from Samyang.

If you need tack sharp images into the corners at wide apertures for landscapes, I think the Sony is probably the better lens. If you strongly prefer 85mm over 75mm, the Sony is probably the better choice too. However, if you want a really nice, light, and tiny lens for travel, street, etc, I think the Samyang is worth serious consideration.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow