**PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2020.07.04

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve Monks
Steve Monks Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: Tigers Clough

NCV wrote:

An interesting set, especially because we can see the same scene shot with cutting edge M43 and FF mirrorless in a "real life" situation and not the usual test chart stuff.

I am struck how different the water colour is in the first two, whilst the greens more or less match.

Looks like an interesting place to explore.

I have always found 1/15 about right for waterfalls and such.

It's not a very scientific comparison and all the images have been through my usual level of localised tweaking, although the aim there is to get the best image I can from the flat looking raw file that I always start with.

The colour thing is the result of auto white balance. I typically shoot with this on and only correct it if it's significantly off or I want to push it differently (warm or cool) compared to what the camera picked which is generally neutral to cold, but I have noticed every camera I own has a different signature tint, the worst offenders being the Fujis which take on a subtle magenta tint in the shadows and midtones in overcast situations.

Fortunately Capture One has an excellent tool to match colours between two images, so here again are both of those images with that applied to the Olympus one to match the Z7 image (I'd say each had a cast, but I preferred the Nikon cast in this situation).

Note these both contain local levels adjustments in various places, so they wont match in terms of tonality, but the colours look pretty close to me. These are also full res which gives a good comparison of the image stabilisation between the Z7 at 0.2 secs and the Oly at 1.0 sec if you look at something static like the brown soil on the left hand bank for example. Of course, any sane person trying to do long exposures would use a tripod, but it' s a neat trick when you can't face carrying one and never fails to amaze me.

Z7 - 0.2 secs, hand held.

E-M1.2 - 1.0 sec hand held. Colour matched to Z7 image.

Steve Monks's gear list:Steve Monks's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
yyr
yyr
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow