* The Weekly Image Thread 20 07 04 #449 *

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 2,451
Re: Palm Springs Aviation Museum

Thanks, not a big museum but an interesting one. I want to go back there. Not big compared to the ones we have in Seattle. Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Museum at Paine Field is amazing. They used to fly two WWII planes on Saturdays in the summer but we built a passenger terminal at the airport which stopped it. I miss it. A great experience to be close to those planes when they run the engines up and take off, when they flew them together, pretended to strafe the crowd, landed and taxied. Even though it was only a game, a P47 Thunderbolt coming in at you in a mock strafing attack is scary, gave me the idea of what it must have felt to be attacked by the beast.

The museum in Seattle is so big it takes at least two days to go through it. You could spend a week at this in Seattle with three aircraft museums, a military vehicle collection and several restoration shops to visit. You could take thousands of photos of these subjects here.

I liked this Palm Springs museum. Good size for a day visit, interesting aircraft, next to the airport with commercial planes landing and taking off with the mountains close by in the background. Makes for good photos.

I was lucky that day. Rain is very rare in Palm Springs. The weather enhanced the photos a great deal. They had a dusting of snow in the mountains. I wanted to take the tram to top of the mountain above the airport but it was too foggy that day. Couldn't see anything. I'll return some winter. It's a good place to stay for a while. The weather is almost always good and you can take day trips through Joshua Tree to Santa Barbara, San Diego, LA. Can't run out of things to do there if you have a car.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AVG
AVG
AVG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow