Nikon 500 PF field tests versus 200-500 and 500 F4. G

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photoarts1 Junior Member • Posts: 38
Nikon 500 PF field tests versus 200-500 and 500 F4. G

I just received the much hyped and reviewed Nikon 500 5.6 PF lens.   I immediately spent a few hours calibrating  the lens to my D810 and d7100 bodies using the Focus Tune software and ruler.

The next afternoon I did some testing in my backyard with some still life products at a distance.  All were shot on the tripod with cable release, no VF.

I found the Nikon 200-500 to be very close to the 500pf lens, maybe even a tad sharper in my results on both bodies at 500mm at f 5.6 and f 8 apertures.   I was a little surprised at this.  The 500 f4 G lens was sharper at F4 compared to the others at 5.6 which was what I expected from the great optics on this lens.

I was curious to know if any other shooters out there who came up with similar results by using these three lenses.   I know the popularity of this lens relies heavy on the smaller size and compactness of lens compared to the other two.  However, I am still a little torn on keeping it or just dealing with the little extra weight on my more versatile range 200-500 lens which is also bit cheaper in price than the 500pf.

Years ago I went through several 300 pf lens from Nikon and found them a little soft as compared to my other lenses so I sent them back as well.

thanks for any suggestions or opinions on the matter.

p

Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow