Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Antal I Kozma
OP Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Old Greenlander wrote:..................

Rent one for a week

Vistek, my preferred Canadian supplier, offered me to get a sample copy from the Canadian Sigma distributor for a few days. I decided not to take the offer.

Why? I told them that if I was satisfied with the lens I would buy it immediately. As it turned out that could not be arranged since the copy I would have received was the demo copy that Sigma Canada uses on their trade shows. I could have it to try it out but then I would need to buy a different retail copy.

I have no doubt that the lens is as good as gold if the particular copy is free from the reported AF issue which people put down to sample variations. Therefore, trying out a demo lens would not assure me that the particular copy I'll purchase will be free from the claimed AF inconsistency.  Trying out one which is good but getting a different copy that might be totally different wouldn't do me any good.

You see the Canadian dealers all say that the lens is "special order particularly for the buyer" and as such cannot be returned for refund. If a copy is not up to snuff then the issue needs to be dealt with Sigma through a warranty claim. Which can be a bothersome back and forth issue.

So, I likely will take the risk and buy one before the fall songbird migration season starts. If I am lucky then all is good. If not then we'll see............ 

I hope that the reported AF issue and sample variation affects only a small percentage of the lenses. Therefore, I believe that taking a chance is not a huge gamble. I am quite capable of ironing out the nitty-gritty of focus fine tuning and generally getting the best out of my lenses. So we'll see.......

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow