I’m still not sure how to proceed!!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Ad12 Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: I’m still not sure how to proceed!!

Greg7579 wrote:

Ad12 wrote:

I love my xt30. 18-55, and arriving soon is the 10-24, super excited. For travel, European cities, architecture, landscapes , very excited’!

my other passion is wildlife photography and birds. I use my 800d and Tamron 100-400. I was planning to keep it alongside my xt30. But the more I use my Fuji the more the rebel DSLR annoys me with the no direct controls!

I can not afford a Fuji 100-400, probably ever. And I feel it wouldn’t fit my xt30. I thought about teasing my 800d for an 80d, but I dunno about the DSLR anymore, I love Evf and the information.

ive narrowed my wildlife bird options down to the following;

- keep 800d and Tamron 100-400. Had amazing results, just frustrating me now to use the rebel

- trade rebel for used 80d, more controls, custom functions, bigger VF, tracking customisation

- I can buy a fringer adaptor and try the Tamron on the xt30 but the size and battery and lack of WR won’t help long days of wildlife shooting

- I got a quote from MPB- I can trade my 50mm, 10-18, 17-50,55-250, and rebel, pay £60, and get a like new XT3. Get a fringer, and have xt3 fringer and Tamron 100-400. But I’m unsure if an xt3 makes my xt30 redundant. But really, I want a two body solution like now. Big camera big lens, then small camera wider lenses

thoughts? I’m very confused. But love shooting my xt30. Two systems or one?

I think you have it figured out. You like the Fuji ergo and small mass for your travel and family shooting but want to shoot birds/wildlife/action and can't afford the 100-400. So that kills Fuji for that part of your passion because you can't get the 100-400.

So right now you should go two systems for a while. You can go Canon APSC DSLR 80d (a nice little camera) with some cheaper longer glass for birds/wildlife and get some good used deals in that fading arena. You can pick up some long glass both EF-S and EF (or even L) cheap now. I see long Canon glass (even L) that is one-third the price I used to pay for it.

Yes aside from a adapter which doesn’t fill me with confidence, that seems the way forward. I have a Tamron 100-400 which I love. The output is MUCH better than the 55-250 crop plastic lens.  Indeed, I cannot afford the Fuji 100-400 and a bigger fuji body to make it nicer to hold.

For now as above I’ll keep my rebel until pay day! But i need to establish whether the 80d will fulfil the frustrations of my 800d. Namely, no dials/buttons so all menu (one dial only on the thing!!!!), small dark viewfinder, no customisable tracking features like the Fuji has, no AFMA, no custom function options, not weather sealed like my Tamron lens is!  Trading my 800d for an 80d will cost about 350 pounds. But it does seem that it can fulfil most of my frustrations. It has a bigger brighter pentaprism VF, adjustable tracking options, AFMA, weather sealing, 2x custom functions, more manual buttons on top, the top LCD so less menus are needed, wheel on the back so 2 wheels, AFMA.

And another benefit which actually is also a benefit over Fuji - when out shooting all day outdoors even 2 batteries on my rebel is 1200 shots. The 80d is about 1000 shots a battery, and actually even has a battery grip.

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow