Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Antal I Kozma
OP Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Old Greenlander wrote:

Antal

What I found after a few hundred thousands of BIF pictures is that for me looks like a myth an average of 90% pictures in focus in a burst

Who gets that, hats off

Just my two cents

Thanks for the info. It is reassuring that you get an excellent in focus rate, especially in BIF. Hats off............  

The reports about out of focus images were not related to BIF.  Just to burst shooting static birds. The findings were that in a sequence one image was in focus then two out of focus then repeat and repeat..... So, in a nine frame burst there were three in focus and six out of focus images.

Now, as we know it doesn't need to be too much of out of focus difference to loose the "sharp eye" shot. A relatively minor change in focus distance can ruin a bird image when the eye is out of focus.

All this said, whether the issue is related to not tuning the lens's Af properly in the console that I do not know. So I likely will take the chance and get a Sigma for myself before the fall bird migration season kicks in. I am very meticulous with my equipment and look after properly fine tuning the AF on my lenses. So, if the reported AF issue is related to bad AF fine tuning then it will not affect me.

Anyway, we'll see how things will turn out. I'll get the Sigma unless Nikon comes out with a surprise move and gets a 600mm f5.6 PF introduced............   Which doesn't seem likely, no credible news leaks about such lens coming any time soon.

Thanks again for your positive report on the Sigma. I trust your opinion.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow